View Single Post
Old 01-01-2014, 04:15 AM

Faith (and a lot of talent) manages!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fans of J. Michael Straczynski

See, here's why I have no right whatsoever to complain about any part of my life, regardless of how annoying some of it may be on a nearly daily basis.

As a kid, all the way through adolescence and adulthood, I loved the Twilight Zone. Never thought I'd get near doing anything related to it. But on top of working for the '88 Twilight Zone, I have a new Twilight Zone book coming out this week. The geek in me is ecstatic.

Now, you'd think that would be enough. But it ain't. I can still remember when and where I saw the first Terminator movie: Larry DiTillio and I caught one of the last showings at a theater in Eagle Rock just abaft from Glendale. We were both wog-boggled (his term) by it. There was absolutely no question that James Cameron had created something truly extraordinary. As I sat watching T2 years later, I thought, wouldn't it be amazing to play in that universe? But of course the odds of that were pretty much zero.

Yet this week, the second issue of my Terminator series for Dark Horse also hits the stands, a story that will stitch together all of the Terminator mythos. Two geek dreams realized in the same week, no less. (And both beginning with the letter T.)

Sometimes I think things like this are the way the universe rewards you for staying true to the art. Other times I think I'm just really fucking lucky.

And as if that weren't fun enough, this week French publisher Delcort announced that come January they will be reprinting Midnight Nation in a French language edition.

I am in geek paradise.

Lucky. Really freaking lucky.
And when somebody congratulated him on being married to Pat Tallman :

Quote:
Ian: umm...no. We're still good friends, and we were going out for quite a while, but we went our separate ways in terms of a relationship nearly a year ago. And never married. Where does the internet get these things?
Then when somebody commented that he's blessed rather than lucky:

Quote:
If I were blessed, the road from there to here wouldn't have been quite so ridiculously hard. And I'd have more hair.
Switching over to Twitter...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMichael Straczynski
Realized the good & bad things that happen become coins in the heart. The more meaningful you want your life the more you have to spend them.
Quote:
Also: spiders are scary.
Quote:
Christmas Eve, Day and New Year's Eve dinners exactly the same: eating at my desk to catch up on deadlines. Good work but crazy....
I teasingly asked him when the last time he actually took his traditional days off (Christmas, New Year and his birthday):

Quote:
@JanMSchroeder Don't remember. Long, long ago. But this period is especially tense. Glad you like the book, it's fun.
(I'd also included in my tweet that I loved the Apocalypse Al comic)

Quote:
You know, usually when someone's balls drop, they don't make quite this big a deal about it.

Quote:
I don't make New Year's resolutions, but the rest of you seriously need to straighten up.
And that appears to be the end of JMS' New Years eve posts 2013/2014!

Jan
"Fascism always comes in quietly, holding a flag in one hand and a holy book in the other, inching its way in. The bugles and drums only sound after they've already taken over and believe it's too late to do anything about it." JMS Twitter Dec. 24, 2017